New Manager of Houston Training Center
Murchison is pleased to announce that Dicky Quick has been hired as the new Manager of our Houston Training Center. Dicky has taken over for John Breidenthal, who is retiring. Dicky has over forty years experience in drilling operations. Prior to joining Murchison in January 2017 as an instructor, Dicky spent nineteen years with Shell, working as a Drilling Superintendent and later as the manager of Shell's Robert Training Center. Dicky is certified as an IWCF and an IADC instructor and will be teaching drilling well control, workover intervention well control, and drilling operations.
John Breidenthal has done an outstanding job for Murchison Drilling Schools as the Manager of the Houston Training Center. In addition to providing excellent instruction in our classes, John made significant contributions to our course materials for both the drilling well control class and the workover intervention well control class. John will continue to work for Murchison on a part-time basis.
In light of all the current restrictions, Murchison is offering some online solutions!
(If you require live classroom training, we are now conducting in-person classes at all of our training centers.)
- Virtual Instructor-Led Well Control Training
The safety of our employees and clients is something we care deeply about, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Murchison has been closely monitoring the COVID-19 spread and we've undertaken the important decision to opt out of our traditional face-to-face classroom training and introduce Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT).
We have been liaising with both IADC and IWCF to ensure we receive the latest guidance in regards to VILT initiatives. Both IADC and IWCF have agreed to extend the expiration dates for current well control certificates until usual training can resume. If you are concerned about your well control certificate expiring, please read up on these COVID-19 certificate extension policies: IADC WellSharp, IWCF.
The IADC advisory committee has approved a fully online well control certification platform, which is available for both drilling and workover/intervention training.
We are excited to be offering our own Virtual Instructor-Led Training for IADC WellSharp! Here is our current schedule:
Sept 14-18, Sept 28 - Oct 2, Oct 12-16, Oct 26-30, Nov 9-13, Nov 30 - Dec 4, Dec 14-18
IADC Drilling Well Control
Supervisor level, Surface or Combined Surface/Subsea
Workover Intervention Supplement available
For further information or to enroll in any of these classes, contact our admin team in Houston: (281) 494-0371 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also sign up here on our website: Drilling Well Control; Intervention Well Control
- Only students that meet the following conditions are eligible.
Students will need to submit a copy of their previous/current WellSharp certificate in order to demonstrate their eligibility.
- Only those who have previously taken and passed a WellSharp course
- Only those holding certificates that expire on or before July 31, 2020
- Trainees must enroll no later than five business days prior to the first day of class.
- Trainees must attend classes using a desktop, laptop or tablet. Smart phones are not an option.
- The trainee's device must have a camera and microphone. The instructor must be able to see and interact with each trainee in real time.
- The trainee will be required to present government-issued identification periodically throughout the course.
- There is an additional $200 surcharge included in the course price to cover IADC's fees for using the online platform, online simulator and proctor.
- Your enrollment confirmation letter will include a link to download the course materials. Please make sure to download before the first day of class.
- We strongly recommend a wired connection instead of WiFi, if you are able to do that. Wired is faster and more reliable than wireless.
The IWCF has approved online well control courses and Murchison has been approved to conduct these. Candidates will still need to do their practical (simulator) assessment and written assessments in person at an accredited IWCF training center within 90 days of completion of the online class. We are only accepting enrollments for the IWCF virtual class from those who are able to do their in-person assessments at a Well Academy/Murchison training center.
The MDS class will consist of three days of live online delivery. In-person assessments can be done the same week as the virtual class or set up for a later date within the 90-day window. We are carefully cleaning everything, requiring masks and social distancing, etc. Here is our current schedule:
Sept 21-25, Oct 19-23, Nov 2-6, Nov 16-20, Dec 7-11
IWCF Drilling Well Control (Level 4, Surface or Combined Surface/Subsea)
Workover & Intervention Well Control!
Murchison is now approved to teach this new IADC WellSharp well servicing course: "Oil & Gas Operator Representative Workover & Intervention Well Control."
We are charging $1500 for this five-day course.